One Nation Under the Gun is a feature length documentary film recognizing that the issue of guns and gun violence in America is more nuanced than what the national media would suggest. We rarely ask why is there a rise in gun sales and an increase in gun-related suicides. Instead the debate often gets bogged down in the meaning of the Second Amendment…Read More
Today’s unprecedented number of guns in circulation, increasing gun sales, and a rise in highly publicized mass shootings, have forced the issue of gun violence into the national conversation. However, in this current period of extreme political rhetoric and partisan rancor, the debate has stalled. Gun rights and gun control advocates paint the other side as paranoid, naive or even anti-American. In truth, each side is rational and their position reasonable when viewed in context… Read More
Over 30,000 Americans are killed every year from gun violence, and double that number live to bear the consequences. Of those who die, two-thirds are a result of suicide. Of the remaining deaths, a majority happen in concentrated areas in cities, and the victims are African-American with African-Americans only representing 15% of the entire population. If you are ready for a new way to think about and talk about gun violence in America, then here is your opportunity to make this happen… Read More
THE REAL ISSUE RADIO SHOW
Listen to The Real Issue
The Real Issue is a public affairs talk show focusing on the issues underlying the headlines. Topics range from electoral politics and domestic and foreign policy, to homelessness, juvenile justice and the environment. Join your host Sue Hilderbrand to explore some of the most important, hidden, and heated political and public issues in our country and our world today. www.therealissueradio.org
Dr. Saul Cornell, Fordham University, history
- A Well-Regulated Militia: the Founding Fathers and the Origins of Gun Control in America (2006).
- The Other Founders: Anti-Federalism and the Dissenting Tradition in America (1999).
Dr. Firmin Debrabander – Maryland Institute College of Art, philosophy
- Do Guns Make Us Free?: Democracy and the Armed Society (2015)
- Spinoza and the Stoics: Power, Politics and Passions (2007)
Dr. Pamela Haag
- Blowin’ Up: Rap Dreams in South Central (University of Chicago Press, 2016).
- Gunshot (in progress)
Dr. Eric Mankowski – Portland State University, psychology
- Antecedents to gun violence: Gender and culture. In Gun violence: Prediction, prevention and policy, APA
- Men’s mental health and masculinities, Encyclopedia of mental health, 2nd edition, vol.3. Waltham, MA: Academic Press.
Dr. Heral Shapira – University of Texas – Austin, sociology